Friday, January 20, 2012

January 20, 2012 - One Year Anniversary and 11th Birthday

One year ago today I received the phone call telling me Sydney had cancer. It was NOT the diagnosis I had prayed for and I think waiting for that phone call made that day one of the longest days ever. Looking back now, this year has been a learning experience and a roller coaster of emotions.
Tomorrow will be Sydney's 11th birthday. A day I NEVER imagined would come. The average lifespan of a border collie is 12-16 years. I would never say my Sydney is "average" but it would be just short of a miracle if she made it to 12, but who knows?
My first childhood dog died at the age of 11 from cancer when I was only 8 years old. My children know Sydney is "sick" and she has cancer. They know she is "lucky" to still be here with us but they really don't know why. I think it has made them appreciate her a bit more, although they have both expressed that they want another dog when she is gone. That isn't something I even want to think about right now.
Right now, I am very thankful for everything I have, including Sydney.

No comments:

Post a Comment